It has been an über hectic week for both Justin and I, leading to a little bit lighter posting on the site. I’ve been dealing with all sorts of projects mixing this way and that with moments of frenzy and periods of lull….it’s almost a bit like the ups and downs of Sigur Ros’s new album, með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. Speaking of which, that crazy Icelandic crew has just added a bunch of dates to its world tour, including more U.S. shows and some dates in Japan. Okay, that may be an the awful segue, but the news is not awful and is sure to get a few folks excited.
Moving on to some other news bites:
- A year full of “Improg” rock: Umphrey’s Releases Jimmy Stewart 2007
- The Outside Lands festival has made some additions to its lineup: Toots and the Maytals, Rogue Wave, The Walkmen, Mike Gordon, Abigail Washburn & the Sparrow Quartet feat. Bela Fleck, Vienna Teng, Howlin Rain, Everest, The Dynamites and Carney.
- It appears that bassist Reed Mathis has had enough time dabbling in other rock-oriented jam acts. Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey is back together and heading out on tour. If those tunes playing on their homepage are any clue as to their new sound, this tour ought to be interesting.
- Looks like Justin’s new fav, the Fleet Foxes, will be heading out on the road with Wilco in the opening slot.
- Conor Oberst, aka Bright Eyes, has put together a decent world tour.
- The Black Keys have fleshed out their fall tour plans.
- Los Lobos & Los Lonely Boys have launched “The Brotherhood Tour.”
- Who knew Salt Lake City could rock? The SLC concert series has pieced together a pretty solid lineup this summer.
And you know we can’t end the week without them! Hot off their big Bonnaroo show last weekend, My Morning Jacket played Late Night with Conan O’Brien last night. Interestingly, they managed to squeeze in a shortened version of one of their longer cuts from Evil Urges, called “Touch Me I’m Going to Scream, Pt. 2” — which just so happens to be one of my favs. Check it out:
What else is news?