Phish kicks off a three-night stand in Chicago tonight at Northerly Island and LivePhish will be webcasting all weekend long for us sorry souls still on Couch Tour. Flashing back to last year at the same venue is a mixed bag for most fans — rain delays, postponements, Harpua, two “Prince Caspians” and a special three-set show on Saturday to make it all up to everyone. The Windy City’s weather looks more promising this time around with 80’s and partly cloudy skies on the horizon.
Even though we’ll never be able to predict the weather, there’s a pretty good chance we can forecast that Phish will bring the improv to Chicago. Summer Tour has already featured enough top-shelf jams to fill up one of your old iPod nanos and there’s no reason to believe the improv will slow. Last Sunday’s “Chalk Dust > Light > Tweezer” is as good as it gets so fans heading to Chicago are understandably excited. There is still a lot left on the table too. With Phish’s renewed focus and the “a lot less covers” quote holding true, we’re still pondering when tunes like “Llama”, “Lizards”, “Fee”, “Guelah Papyrus” “Vultures”, “The Mango Song” and “Saw it Again” will make their 2014 debuts. YEMblog’s efforts to get “Lushington” voted in by fan’s on Rolling Stone’s “Favorite Phish Song” Reader’s poll was a success but the band still hasn’t played it!
A few Phish-related items hit the newswire this week, too. Earlier today Phish fan and Justin Bieber guitarist Dan Kanter posted a link to Justin Bieber’s Instagram account where there’s a video of the two of them riffing on Phish’s “Divided Sky”.
Also, Paul McCartney referenced the band in an interview with Rolling Stone when asked about playing shows off-the-cuff.
“Yeah, we occasionally do that, just for the fun of it. But it’s not like I’m Phish, you know. – Sir Paul
Good to see Phish is on Sir Paul’s radar.
If you’re lucky enough to be in Chicago, here’s a rundown of events:
– All weekend long The Rock Bottom will be throwing a fundraiser and offering a hoppy red ale called “Sample in a Jar” that will be sold in mason jars with the Mockingbird Foundation’s logo. Go support this great cause.
– “North American Scum becomes LCD Soundsystem” (featuring Joel Cummins and members of Cosby Sweater, Digital Tape Machine, Spart Parts) with special guests The Coop Friday, July 18, 2014 at Concord Music Hall.
– Particle & Friends, Phish After-Party on the SPIRIT OF CHICAGO YACHT, Saturday 7/19
– PhanArt will be hosting a Poster and Pin Exhibition at the Congress Plaza Hotel from 12-5pm on Sunday, 7/20.
– Dopapod After-Phish Party, Saturday, July 19, 2014 at Concord Music Hall.
I wonder which after-party Cactus will turn up at, or will he end up at Second City again like last year?
Have a great weekend everyone!