This week has been a decently busy one in the world of live music. Lots of new tours announced for the upcoming months so lots of good stuff to look forward to that will help ward of that case of North American cabin fever. The big news for now is that Radiohead keeps giving snippets of details away on how they’re organizing their state-side tour; they released a list of cities yesterday. And today we got a list of rumored dates and venues, even though I’m not sure if it’s worth assigning any weight to them. You never really can tell.
But if they do prove out to be legit, Radiohead is going to be headlining Lollapalooza 2008. Say it with me — KICK. ASS.
Here’s some other stuff that’s going on, too…
- Kevin Drew’s latest incarnation of Broken Social Scene is heading out on some international dates, including Australia, New Zealand, China, and Japan.
- Bob Mould is releasing an album soon entitled, District Line, and the supporting tour will begin on March 3 in Minneapolis.
- Caribou just announced a huge stretch around the globe. I’ve really been diggin’ these guys lately and I missed my last chance to check out their live set, so this will be on the to-do list for 2008.
- Battles have a bunch of dates coming up in Australia as part of the Big Day Out festvail. I still can’t stop listening to Mirrored.
- Holy Fuck is about to begin a tour in a few weeks and they play a show tomorrow in NYC. I’ll definitely be watching for them down at SXSW.
- Some Dude is saying that we should be checking out Blitzen Trapper — they announced a pretty big tour this week as well and they’ve got a new album coming out that’ll be a good spot to start with this band. Thanks for the recommendation, dude.
- Justice announced dates with a headlining slot at Madison Square Garden (!) in March. Some of the dates are with Diplo, who I’ve heard really good things about. I have no experience with Justice, though so I might have to give them a chance pretty soon. I’ve seen the Jimmy Kimmel version of “D.A.N.C.E.” but that’s about it.
- The Hives are coming back to the States next month. I think I want to start getting into these guys.
Even though I’m still pretty jazzed about the possibility of Radiohead at Lollapalooza, I’m probably most excited by the newcomers and smaller bands on the list. Caribou has some killer style. Holy Fuck just kind of crept back into my collective conscious thanks to this track below.
I’m pretty sure this is what they were playing as I walked into that Holy Fuck / !!! (chk chk chk) show from earlier this year. I’m pretty sure I love this band. I’m also pretty sure that they have simultaneously the worst band name ever and the best band name ever. I’m pretty sure that’s not even possible, but I still have an ambivalence towards that moniker that’ll surely continue into the new year.
What else is going on that I missed?