I was fortunate enough to catch the Jeff Tweedy at the Fillmore last night, the second show on his two-night run through San Francisco, and it was a fantastic show front to back. Opening with “Via Chicago” and flowing all the way through 26 songs (with plenty of witty banter in-between), he actually only repeated one song his entire two-night run and I’m glad I was there to see it. There is something quite magical about seeing Tweedy play “California Stars” while knowing that everyone in the audience can relate to the sentiment. Here’s the setlist; what an amazing show. He finishes up the run with four sold-out nights in Los Angeles starting Sunday.
Here’s a few other things to take a look tonight:
- Recently had my first exposure to the band Crystal Fighters, and I’m really digging their sound. They just released a video for “Love Natural” and I challenge you to not get that song stuck in your head once you give it a listen.
- Prince will make an appearance and star as himself on the TV show, New Girl. Maybe I’ll have to actually watch an episode of that show once and for all.
- Metallica is doing a set of shows in South America in March.
- Flying Lotus released a zip file of unreleased music yesterday called “Ideas+drafts+loops”, including a remix of Kanye West’s “Black Skinhead” that features Thundercat on it.
- This is ridiculous: Yoko Ono “covers” Daft Punk “Get Lucky” and I’m laughing out loud. What was your reaction?