PHOTOS / RECAP: Local Natives, Superhumanoids @ El Rey Theater, LA 1/29/13
Perhaps what stood out the most about the Local Natives’ show on Tuesday night at the El Rey Theater in Los Angeles, was how personal and heartfelt their music was. In the middle of a crowd that cheered and screamed in a way that resembled “Beatle-mania,” they delivered a powerful performance backed by outstanding musicianship. It isn’t very often nowadays that a live band sounds as good as they do in their albums, but Local Natives definitely get there, and then some. Their set was thoughtfully strung together, with peaks and valleys of rich grooves and hypnotizing sounds.
And who had the musical fortitude to open for such an accomplished band? None other than Los Angeles’ own Superhumanoids. In a few songs, they achieved what most bands wish to achieve in their careers: an authentic response and connection with the crowd. They are a band to watch out for.
Read on for my full gallery from the show.
- 04/30/2013 • LouFest 2013: Wilco, The Killers, The National, Alabama Shakes, Jim James & More
- 04/03/2013 • PHOTOS / SETLIST: Local Natives @ House of Blues, Boston 3/30/13
- 02/19/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013 Lineup: Paul McCartney, Mumford & Sons, Tom Petty, Bjork, Pretty Lights, Wilco and more
- 02/04/2013 • PHOTOS: Local Natives @ Bowery Ballroom, NYC 2/2/13
- 01/22/2013 • 2013 Governors Ball Lineup: Kanye West, Kings of Leon, Pretty Lights, Animal Collective and more
- 05/19/2013 • WATCH: Kanye West on Saturday Night Live
- 05/19/2013 • SETLIST / VIDEO: Rolling Stones (w/ Dave Grohl) @ Honda Center, Anaheim, CA 5/18/13
- 05/17/2013 • My Morning Jacket Will Begin Work On New LP This Fall
- 05/17/2013 • PHOTOS: Kurt Vile & the Violators @ Bowery Ballroom, NYC 5/16/13
- 05/17/2013 • Interlocken Festival 2013: Neil Young, Furthur, SCI, Black Crowes and More