Justin Vernon Calls it Quits for Bon Iver
Grammy Award winner Justin Vernon has decided to call it quits with his band Bon Iver after their tour wraps up in November. The founder of Bon Iver is quoted, “I have to turn it off and walk away from it.” Surprising news considering the band was awarded ‘Best New Artist’ at the Grammys this year. The story comes via an interview with The Current. Check out more from the frontman after the jump.
“I look at it like a faucet. I have to turn it off and walk away from it because so much of how that music comes together is subconscious or discovering. There’s so much attention on the band, it can be distracting at times. I really feel the need to walk away from it while I still care about it. If I come back to it – if at all – I’ll feel better about it and be renewed or something…” – Justin Vernon Interview w/ The Current.
Although surprisingly so soon, maybe we should’ve seen this one coming. If you remember in Vernon’s Grammy Award acceptance speech he said: “It’s really hard to accept this award. There’s so much talent out here… and there’s a lot of talent that’s not here tonight. It’s also hard to accept because you know, when I started to make songs I did it for the inherent reward of making songs, so I’m a little bit uncomfortable up here.”
If Vernon’s statements hold true, Bon Iver’s last show will be at The 02 Arena in Dublin, Ireland on November 12, 2012. The band next plays Lisbon, Portugal on September 26th.
You can follow Justin Vernon on twitter @Blobtower.
(Hat Tip from Stereo Board)
About the author
Aaron is originally from the east coast (Warren, MA) but currently resides on the West Side in Santa Monica, CA working as an editor for the Fox Sports Network. Besides live music (Phish, Wilco, Bill Frisell), he appreciates street art, photography, Wes Anderson films, and traveling. Follow him on twitter and instagram.
- 12/03/2012 • Live Music Blog’s Best of 2012: Concerts, Albums, Artists and More (Part Two)
- 10/05/2012 • Austin City Limits’ New Season Kicks Off Tonight with Radiohead
- 06/11/2012 • Bonnaroo 2012: Highlights, Photos and Videos from Day Four (Beach Boys, Bon Iver, Phish)
- 06/06/2012 • Bonnaroo 2012 Webcast Schedule Posted
- 03/27/2012 • Jazz Fest 2012 Releases Schedule Cubes, Pres Hall to Close Gentilly on May 6th
- 06/18/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Four Highlights and Best of Roo Awards
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify
- 06/17/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Three Highlights (Superjam, Two Gallants & William Tyler)