CONCERT RECAP: My Morning Jacket @ The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA 9/11/12
Maybe I’m feeling the effects of an after show glow, but this one may belong in the same conversation with some of the more standout shows from MMJ’s storied 14-year history. After a none-too-special start, the band ripped through “Lay Low” and barraged the place with a dark, heavy, all business set, heavy on deep improvisation and furious intensity that didn’t let up until the final notes of the show-ending “Phone Went West.” From Lay Low (which hit at approximately 10:00), straight until the encore break around 11:30, there was nary a dull moment, just a powerhouse onslaught that has my head-ringing currently. The encore break provided some much-welcomed lighter fare with “Butch Cassidy” and “Wonderful”, before kicking into an astonishing Band / Prince / Phone Went West trio to ice the cake.
Notably, there was also almost zero banter, each extended tune (even “Gideon” got a big upgrade) seemed to take on a wholly different colour, tone and feel from past versions and one couldn’t ask for much better cover selections, hitting on Elton John (biggest crowd response of the night) and the aforementioned The Band and Prince tunes.
Now the only question is: how will they ever top this one on Wednesday and Thursday?
SETLIST: The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA || Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Circuital, It Beats 4 U, You Wanna Freak Out, Lowdown, I’m Amazed, Lay Low > War Begun > I Will Sing You Songs, Masterplan, Old Sept Blues, Rocket Man (Elton John), Strangulation, Evelyn Is Not Real, Easy Morning Rebel, Anytime, The Day Is Coming, Touch Me I’m Going To Scream Pt 2, Gideon
Butch Cassidy, Wonderful (The Way I Feel), It Makes No Difference (The Band), I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (Prince), Phone Went West
EDITOR’S NOTE: My two big requests for the night (Old Sept Blues and Strangulation) book-ended my first time hearing “Rocket Man.” Score.
UPDATE: You can now download a rather pristine audience recording from this show on The Steam Engine!
Touch Me I’m Going to Scream Pt. 2 (Jam)
Rocket Man (Elton John)
It Beats 4 U
Wesley grew up in coastal Georgia and is a former resident of The Music City and the Big Easy where he helped get Live Music Blog: NOLA off-the-ground, managing it in New Orleans through Jazz Fest 2012. Hodges is now an attorney living amongst THE CALIFORNIANS in West LA. His favorite artists include My Morning Jacket, Pink Floyd, Sigur Rós, Widespread Panic, Futurebirds, The Allman Brothers Band, Dr. Dog, Tame Impala, Anders Osborne, Monster Rally, Radiohead and Bobby & The Midnites. Daft Punk is actually playing at his house tonight and you're invited.
- 06/10/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers @ Fonda Theatre, LA, CA 6/9/13
- 06/08/2013 • TICKET GIVEAWAY: The Greyboy Allstars @ The Troubadour LA 7/16/13
- 06/05/2013 • Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich Announce LIVE DJ Set on KCRW
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13
- 05/13/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Jim James @ Fonda Theatre, Hollywood, CA 5/11/13
- 06/19/2013 • WATCH: Dehaan aka Metallica Perform “Kill ‘Em All” In Full @ Orion Fest
- 06/18/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Four Highlights and Best of Roo Awards
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify