Led Zeppelin Releases the Number Four, Internet Responds Tepidly
On Friday, Led Zeppelin released a simple “Hello.” greeting on their official Facebook page, enough to pique the interest of their 6.5 million followers, especially in light of the fact that it was the first update on the page in nearly 6 months.
Yesterday, when the number ‘five’ popped up, the Internet became abuzz (esp. on Reddit) in rampant speculation about what such a simple posting might mean. It’s no accident that the marketing wizards behind the campaign chose to start this countdown with the number five in light of the fact that Led Zeppelin’s first four albums carried the titles of I, II, III, & IV, knowing how such a simple black-and-white message may be construed and passed along organically by fans to one another. Led Zeppelin doing a bit of viral marketing in 2012, ain’t that something!?
Although today’s ‘four’ is largely indicative of a countdown that will take us to a big announcement probably on Thursday, this is a smart ploy to get people’s hopes up and build a huge amount of anticipation for Thursday.
Over The Hills and Far Away
Stairway to Heaven (breaking the “No Stairway rule” from Wayne’s World)
Finally, here’s some funny commentary on this Reddit thread about the announcements:
[–] MoreZeppelinPlease 412 points 18 hours ago
TODAY IS THE DAY MY USERNAME BECAME RELEVANT
[–] moz_moz 4 points 16 hours ago
[–] kiwifuel 6 points 16 hours ago
My tattoo just became a little more relevant.
[–] woodchuck64 1091 points 1 day ago
Led Zeppelin on Facebook is just not something that fits comfortably in my reality.
[–] hamilton_burger 175 points 1 day ago
LOL. I don’t want to think of the bandmembers taking pictures of themselves posing for the bathroom mirror.
Wesley grew up in coastal Georgia and is a former resident of The Music City and the Big Easy where he helped get Live Music Blog: NOLA off-the-ground, managing it in New Orleans through Jazz Fest 2012. Hodges now lives amongst THE CALIFORNIANS as a newcomer to West LA. His favorite artists include My Morning Jacket, Sigur Rós, Widespread Panic, The Allman Brothers Band, Dr. Dog, Tame Impala, Anders Osborne, Radiohead and Bobby & The Midnites. Daft Punk is actually playing at his house tonight and you're invited.
- 04/18/2013 • David Gilmour Remembers Storm Thorgerson (1944-2013)
- 03/22/2013 • WATCH: James Brown vs Led Zeppelin Mash-Up Video – “Whole Lotta Sex Machine”
- 02/20/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Get The Led Out @ The Dome at Oakdale Theater, Wallingford, CT 2/16/13
- 02/18/2013 • Robert Plant Adds Fuel to Led Zeppelin Reunion Rumors
- 11/30/2012 • Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones set to give interview on ‘Letterman’
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13