PHOTOS / RECAP: The Travelin’ McCoury’s (ft. Keller Williams) @ Boulder Theater, CO 4/13/12
I remember my first bluegrass festival back in 2007 at Copper Mountain. I was talked into going by some friends through all my complaints about annoying twangy banjos, drawl heavy harmonies, and a serious lack of drums. Despite all my steadfast resistance, Keller Williams’ flat picking antics and unmatchable sound that weekend managed to change my mind entirely and opened my ears to the wide world of bluegrass. Since that set I have grown fond of many artists within and surrounding the genre, from Allison Kraus to Tea Leaf Green, but no single act can match the completely unique sound that Keller Williams brings to the table. I was lucky enough to be invited to shoot Keller’s most recent collaborative effort with Grammy award winners, The Del McCoury Band at the Boulder Theater this past Friday and I can’t say I’ve been so pleased with a concert experience in a long time.
With a festival heavy summer tour planned, including several dates with the Travelin’ McCoury’s and stops at Wakarusa, Summer Camp, Mountain Jam, and Electric Forest, it’s going to be a banner year for bluegrass’ golden child.
Joseph Smith is a student at the University of Colorado at Boulder as well as an editor/writer/photographer for LMB CO.
You can follow him on twitter at @JosephS89.
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes
- 05/21/2013 • JamBase Live at The Gorge Has Been Cancelled
- 05/21/2013 • SETLIST / RECAP / VIDEO: Rolling Stones @ Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA 5/20/13
- 05/21/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Moon Taxi @ Tipitina’s Uptown, New Orleans, LA 5/16/13
- 05/21/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Soundgarden @ The Oakdale Theatre, Wallingford, CT 5/17/13