RECAP: Thursday night in SF with The Barr Brothers and Rubblebucket
Last Thursday night I got to get out in my neighborhood to see two amazing bands that have been on constant rotation in my Spotify playlists lately: The Barr Brothers and Rubblebucket. The Barr Brothers is a band that we have been hammering on for a while and they were playing in a room that I had yet to attend a show at: Swedish American Music Hall (which is the upstairs room at Cafe DuNord). Once you walk up some nicely trimmed and manicured steps through what feels like a stop a funeral home, you walk into a hardwood lined open space that looks more like a church than a music venue.
It’s these kind of shows that make you respect the Barr Brothers even more so after seeing them play from the front row at High Sierra or seeing them at a loud drunk Independent gig. These guys constantly mix it up and they commented about how they finally have songs quiet enough to play the room they were in. The SF elite were in attendance also as I saw Reed Mathis, Dave Vann and Benjy Eisen all in and out of my way walking around the little venue taking photos. The combination of those three guys in a room usually means we’re at the right show that night.
Here are some of my photos that came out:
From the Barr Brothers, me and my good friend and roomie headed down 14th Street to hit up Brick and Mortar for the Rubblebucket show. Ran into some new friends there and got my way into the show right up front. The sound at the venue was less than stellar, though, so I hung back and floated close to the soundboard to get the best sound possible and found myself grooving all night. Plus the robot war / Blondie medley was pretty sick…
Both bands were busting out new songs that night and it only got me more interested in seeing both of them progress. To see two amazing bands at a peak of creativity on a Thursday night is exactly the kind of thing we expect in this great city nowadays…
Those are my quick thoughts from an awesome night. As my buddy @JasonSpang said… “Just another Thursday night….”
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 04/22/2013 • PHOTOS: Everyone Orchestra @ South Shore Music Hall, Quincy, MA 4/18/13
- 03/12/2013 • High Sierra 2013: Thievery Corporation, Primus, moe., Leftover Salmon, Barr Brothers & More
- 03/04/2013 • Forecastle Festival 2013 Lineup: Black Keys, String Cheese Incident, Animal Collective and more
- 02/21/2013 • Camp Bisco 2013 Lineup: Disco Biscuits, Animal Collective, Umphrey’s McGee, STS9, Bassnectar & More
- 02/11/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Cosmic Love Ball w/ Rubblebucket and Materialized @ The Fillmore, SF 2/9/13
- 05/20/2013 • R.I.P. Ray Manzarek, The Doors (1939-2013)
- 05/20/2013 • Coachella 2014: Dates Confirmed, Presales Soon
- 05/20/2013 • First City Festival: Passion Pit, Modest Mouse, MGMT, Beach House and more
- 05/19/2013 • WATCH: Kanye West on Saturday Night Live
- 05/19/2013 • SETLIST / VIDEO: Rolling Stones (w/ Dave Grohl) @ Honda Center, Anaheim, CA 5/18/13