Concert-focused Social Site Superglued Acquired by Complex Media
One day after we saw Live Nation buy setlist wiki site Setlist.fm, we’ve got another — albeit smaller — acquisition in the Live Music Tech space. Complex Media, an “online network for 20-something men,” has acquired the concert-focused social site Superglued.
Though decidedly smaller and scrappier than similar sites like Songkick, Thrillcall, Bandsintown and Jambase, Superglued always focused much more on the social experience around concerts — with ticketing and concert listings as secondary — thereby attempting to carve out a distinct niche from those other services. For example, they were one of the first services to really start tapping into the real-time social activity surrounding the show experience, be it Foursquare check-ins or concert-focused chatter on Twitter/Facebook.
Of course, turning the social concert experience into a big revenue generator is probably even harder than making money off of affiliate ticketing fees, so it’s no big surprise they eventually sought out a buyer. But even if this sale wasn’t a big one (as I suspect it wasn’t), it’s still cool to see some more activity around sites in this tiny niche space I like to call Live Music Tech. To-date, Bandsintown, Setlist.fm, and Superglued have all been acquired, so it’ll be interesting to see what other sites might be ripe for the next acquisition.
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 03/16/2012 • LN Labs Fund: Live Nation to Invest in More Music Startups
- 03/09/2012 • Songkick Gets Sequoia Funding, NYT Interview
- 03/06/2012 • Live Nation Acquires Setlist Database Site Selist.fm
- 03/01/2012 • TECH: Google Adds Concert Links to Artist Search Results
- 02/09/2012 • Thrillcall Announces Mobile App for Last-minute Ticket Offers
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13