Live Nation Acquires Setlist Database Site Selist.fm
Although most fans in the jam world have grown accustomed to being able to easily search and find a setlist for most of their favorite bands’ shows, for other bands with less concert-centric fanatics, there really wasn’t any kind of comprehensive setlist database until Setist.fm came around.
We’ve been fans of Setlist.fm for a while now, so it’s cool to see how much they’ve grown. The wiki site now has a database of more than 400,000 setlists for 24,000 artists in more than 70,000 venues around the world and claims to reach more than 1.5 million music fans each month.
Here are some quotes per the official press release:
“Setlist.fm built a great product for concert fans and we will further elevate this by incorporating it into Live Nation’s global portfolio across mobile, apps and online,” said Michael Rapino, CEO of Live Nation Entertainment. “Setlist.fm fits perfectly with our goal of providing fans an engaging experience that extends the fun and excitement of the live concert before, during and after the show.”
“Live Nation has demonstrated great appreciation for Setlist.fm and our passionate community,” said Alexa Wildhaber, CEO of Setlist.fm. “We are thrilled that Setlist.fm will become a part of the world’s largest live entertainment company.
I have to say that the entrepreneur in me is now thinking that this Live Music Tech space might have more legs than I originally thought. It’ll be interesting to see if Live Nation makes any other acquisitions this year as they flesh out their digital strategy around the newly-formed Live Nation Labs and seek out other ways to expand on the LiveNation.com site and fan community. As always, we’ll keep our eye on it.
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 03/16/2012 • LN Labs Fund: Live Nation to Invest in More Music Startups
- 03/09/2012 • Songkick Gets Sequoia Funding, NYT Interview
- 03/07/2012 • Concert-focused Social Site Superglued Acquired by Complex Media
- 03/01/2012 • TECH: Google Adds Concert Links to Artist Search Results
- 02/09/2012 • Thrillcall Announces Mobile App for Last-minute Ticket Offers
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes
- 05/21/2013 • JamBase Live at The Gorge Has Been Cancelled
- 05/21/2013 • SETLIST / RECAP / VIDEO: Rolling Stones @ Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA 5/20/13
- 05/21/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Moon Taxi @ Tipitina’s Uptown, New Orleans, LA 5/16/13