Kraftwerk Announces April New York City Residency
File this under awesome.
German electronic music pioneers, Kraftwerk, have announced that they’ll set up shop at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City for an eight-night residency in April. Even better, they’re planning to feature one of their studio albums during each night’s performance, alongside plenty of visuals that are bound to be phenomenal.
Here’s the blurb from the MoMa site:
Over eight consecutive nights, MoMA presents a chronological exploration of the sonic and visual experiments of Kraftwerk with a live presentation of their complete repertoire in the Museum’s Marron Atrium. Each evening consists of a live performance and 3-D visualization of one of Kraftwerk’s studio albums—Autobahn (1974), Radio-Activity (1975), Trans-Europe Express (1977), The Man-Machine (1978), Computer World (1981), Techno Pop (1986), The Mix (1991), and Tour de France (2003)—in the order of their release. Kraftwerk will follow each evening’s album performance with additional compositions from their catalog, all adapted specifically for this exhibition. This reinterpretation showcases Kraftwerk’s historical contributions to and contemporary influence on global sound and image culture.
The residency starts on Tuesday, April 10th with a performance of the band’s 1974 debut Autobahn. Prior to the residency, Kraftwerk will also appear at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami, FL in March.
Kraftwerk – Retrospective 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 – Schedule:
Tuesday, April 10, 8:30 p.m. 1 – Autobahn (1974)
Wednesday, April 11, 8:30 p.m. 2 – Radio-Activity (1975)
Thursday, April 12, 8:30 p.m. 3 – Trans Europe Express (1977)
Friday, April 13, 10:00 p.m. 4 – The Man-Machine (1978)
Saturday April 14, 8:30 p.m. 5 – Computer World (1981)
Sunday, April 15, 8:30 p.m. 6 – Techno Pop (1986)
Monday, April 16, 8:30 p.m. 7 – The Mix (1991)
Tuesday, April 17, 10:00 p.m. 8 – Tour de France (2003)
Tickets are $25.00 and go on sale on Wednesday, February 22, at 12PM via ShowClix. There is a two-ticket limit per person for the entire series. Tickets are only available via will call with a photo ID.
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 12/11/2012 • Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2013 Inductees: Public Enemy, Rush and Randy Newman
- 10/04/2012 • Kraftwerk, Rush, Deep Purple, Public Enemy and more: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees announced
- 04/16/2012 • LMB NYC: Concert Calendar (April 16-22) – Furthur, Kraftwerk, Paul Simon, Greyboys, Sphongle, Brothers Past
- 04/11/2012 • LAST NIGHT: Kraftwerk @ MoMA, NYC
- 04/09/2012 • LMB NYC: Concert Calendar (April 9-15): Dr. John, Furthur, Kraftwerk, The Boss, White Denim
- 06/18/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Four Highlights and Best of Roo Awards
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify
- 06/17/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Three Highlights (Superjam, Two Gallants & William Tyler)