LMB NYC: This Week’s Concert Calendar (Jan. 30 – Feb 5)
Just another week of live music in New York City…meaning lots of great options for the concert-going public. This week, we’ve got plenty of solid rock shows (including Smith Westerns and American Babies), some buzz-worthy electronic acts (like Tycho and Skrillex), and a few artists that fall somewhere in between (Bjork, Eclectic Method). Read on for the highlights and linkage.
I feel like I keep hearing the name “Leroy Justice” without having much a clue who they are. Well, it turns out they’re a great blues-based rock band that’s headlining Brooklyn Bowl on Saturday. Check it:
Ok, so much for all that “rock” stuff…time to head into darker, weirder, more electronic territory…
Björk is bringing her Biophilia Live show to the New York Hall of Science, which should be epic-ly out there.
At the end of 2011, Tycho put out one of my favorite electronic albums (which I briefly touched on over at WP.com). Though I wouldn’t expect much of a live show from these guys, it’s still got to be cool to hear those tracks opened up for a room like the Music Hall of W’burg. Oneohtrix Point Never — the opener — has a decidedly more psychedelic, noise-based electronic vibe.
Oneohtrix Point Never
For something a bit more beat-centric, I’m liking Break Science at Bk Bowl on Thursday. Adam Deitch is a beast on the drum kit.
The oddball audio/video mash-up crew known as Eclectic Method will bring their frenetic A/V assault to Cameo Gallery on Friday. I’ve always thought of these guys almost as “Girl Talk with video,” and if you let them, they may just blow your mind.
And finally, how could I forget Justin’s latest dubstep obsession and this “week of Skrillex” here in NYC? The new poster-boy of heavy dubstep will basically be here all week dropping bass bombs in some very decent-sized NYC venues. Definitely a hot (and tough) ticket.
Per the norm, read on for all the details and a few other interesting shows going on this week in NYC…
Interesting shows from this week’s NYC concert calendar:
MONDAY, JANUARY 30
Steve Earle, Allison Moorer, The Mastersons @ City Winery
TUESDAY, JANUARY 31
Smith Westerns w/ Porcelain Raft, Bleached @ Webster Hall
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4
American Babies @ Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2
Leroy Justice @ Brooklyn Bowl
Skrillex w/ Skream & Benga, Koan Sound, Tokimonsta @ Terminal 5
Super Diamond w/ Booga Sugar @ Highline Ballroom
Tycho, w/ Oneohtrix Point Never and Beacon @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5
SUPER BOWL SUNDAY – ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALLLLL!?!?
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 02/02/2013 • This Week’s Must Hear: Joe Russo’s Almost Dead
- 06/04/2012 • WEBCAST: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down @ Brooklyn Bowl
- 05/21/2012 • LMB NYC: Concert Calendar (May 21-27) – American Babies, Alabama Shakes, Jack White, Maps & Atlases, Steve Winwood
- 12/12/2011 • LMB NYC: This Week’s Concert Calendar (Dec. 12 – Dec 18)
- 09/21/2011 • American Babies: 2011 Fall Tour Dates, New Video
- 06/19/2013 • WATCH: Dehaan aka Metallica Perform “Kill ‘Em All” In Full @ Orion Fest
- 06/18/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Four Highlights and Best of Roo Awards
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify