Video: Phish – “Rock & Roll” – Live at the Gorge, 8/5/11
I had a chance to listen to a few tracks from Phish’s first night at the Gorge. While the “Roggae” was definitely interesting (per Justin’s take), I think the clear standout of the night was the band’s nearly 20-minute cover of the Velvet Underground’s “Rock and Roll,” which featured a large amount of improv and took a number of different themes, twists and directions. Towards the end, the band steered in a decidedly darker direction with Page McConnell on theremin and some downright evil-sounding bass lines by Mike Gordon. Check it out in two parts below…
Seriously, that’s some depths-of-hell jamming right there, isn’t it? Good stuff.
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 05/07/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: The Meter Men with Page McConnell @ Jazz Fest 2013
- 05/06/2013 • PHOTOS: Final Day @ Jazz Fest 2013 (Trombone Shorty, Black Keys, Meter Men with Page & More)
- 04/30/2013 • Phish Releases 6/20/95 and “The Fleezer” from 6/22/95
- 04/21/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Record Store Day 2013
- 04/18/2013 • David Gilmour Remembers Storm Thorgerson (1944-2013)
- 05/24/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: Colin Stetson @ Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 5/9/13
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track