LCD Soundsystem’s Final Show @ MSG, 4/2/11
Last night, I was super lucky to witness LCD Soundsystem’s last show (ever) at MSG. Even with all the hype surrounding this show, it absolutely exceeded expectations and blew me away. From the bombastic drum-drop of “Dance Yourself Clean” to kick off the show, the place was a total dance party, and it was clear the band was on a mission to blow the roof off of MSG. The show clocked in at over three and a half hours and saw the band hit all the high notes, including stand-out tracks from their last three albums as well as some older rarities and covers of Alan Vega’s “Bye Bye Bayou” and Harry Nillson’s “Jump Into the Fire”. They shared the stage with other artists from the DFA family (The Juan Maclean, Shit Robot), and featured some fun sit-ins, including Reggie Watts and Arcade Fire. Overall, it was a career-spanning blowout that covered all the key territory and I think it’s safe to say that it’s now in my top ten concerts of all time.
I don’t quite have it in me today for a full play-by-play review, but thanks to ArcadeFireTube (and Pitchfork.tv’s webcast), you can now watch the show in its entirety. Check it out to get a taste of the sheer energy that James Murphy and crew brought to the Garden last night:
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 04/24/2013 • James Murphy Speaks About LCD Soundsystem’s Future (or lack thereof)
- 12/23/2012 • Season’s Greetings from Live Music Blog
- 10/26/2012 • FILM REVIEW: Shut Up and Play The Hits
- 07/31/2012 • PREVIEW: James Murphy / Pat Mahoney (LCD Soundsystem) DJ Set at Boulder Theater (8/2)
- 07/16/2012 • LCD Soundsystem: Shut Up and Play the Hits arrives to theaters July 18.
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes
- 05/21/2013 • JamBase Live at The Gorge Has Been Cancelled
- 05/21/2013 • SETLIST / RECAP / VIDEO: Rolling Stones @ Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA 5/20/13
- 05/21/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Moon Taxi @ Tipitina’s Uptown, New Orleans, LA 5/16/13
- 05/21/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Soundgarden @ The Oakdale Theatre, Wallingford, CT 5/17/13