Festival Rumor Mill: Phish, DMB, Atlantic City, Watkins Glen, and More
Over the last week or so, we’ve been hearing a slew of new rumors about potential new festivals in 2011. Some involve Phish, some Dave Matthews Band, some include both bands, while others sound like they’ll be multi-band events in the traditional festival style (e.g. Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc…).
The two most credible rumors are for multi-day events at:
Watkins Glen Motor Speedway, July 4th Weekend
Bader Field, a site near Atlantic City, NJ, some time in June
Our friends at Hidden Track have been on top of some of the rumors, including the latest for Atlantic City, at a spot outside of town called Bader Field. The Atlantic City Weekly had this from the Mayor:
Langford broke some news at the event, saying that a big-time promoter is working to put on a three-day music festival at Bader Field in June. One source says the three days of music would feature some of the best bands in the “jam band” genre.
We recently mentioned DMB’s short announcement about doing their own festivals in 2011, so this might match up nicely with the newly-proposed spot outside of AC.
And today, DMB bassist Stefan Lassard chimed in with some serious fuel for the fire with a single Tweet asking: “DMB & Pearl Jam or DMB & Phish?”
And if that’s not enough for the rumor mill, we’re also hearing a few other potential sites being floated around for other large, jam-heavy events, including Chicago’s Grant Park as well as the Gorge in Washington State. So far, we aren’t seeing anything super credible for these last two, but we’ll keep eyes and ears open.
One thing’s for sure, combining the Phish and DMB fans bases might not be the best match-up. From the outside, the DMB and Phish fan bases often get lumped together as the standard, happy-hippy jamband types. But as most of us know, when you dig deeper, there are some key divisions that might not make this combination work all that well. Check out the responses to YEMblog’s informal polling of Phish fans for one example. The Barn Presents has actually dug even deeper into the divisions with a post on the subject, including a link to this 2009 article from the River Front Times.
It all makes for some fun speculation. Plus, all the message board bickering and twittering amongst the various fan bases kinda makes me want to kick back with some popcorn and watch everyone battle it out. This is going to get silly.
So, who’s got more fuel for this fire?
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 05/20/2013 • Coachella 2014: Dates Confirmed, Presales Soon
- 04/18/2013 • WATCH: Selling Coachella Weekend Two Tix Is Almost Impossible
- 04/13/2013 • WATCH: How To Destroy Angels FULL SET @ Coachella 2013
- 04/13/2013 • WATCH: Daft Punk steal the show at Coachella without performing
- 04/13/2013 • COUCHELLA: Day Two features Phoenix, The Postal Service, Grizzly Bear, Hot Chip, Janelle Monae & More
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes