Phish Friday: Bouncing Like a Newborn Elf
Another week in autumn has passed and sure enough, beginning in Charleston (and especially last Saturday to these ears), Phish has shifted gears in a forward direction. Setlist-wise, they are throwing in variation along with spontaneity, and playing-wise, they’re creating a really exciting time for the new and old in all of us. If Phish somehow didn’t impress you in the South, Augusta held the momentum and even took it up a notch. The band weaved the Rolling Stones classic, “Torn & Frayed” in a first set that complimented a spirited “Gin” and “46 Days.” With the second set “FYF” opener and a “Mike’s Groove” lacking in any H2 but heavy in “F”‘s, combined with a “Light” to rival the Greeks’ opus from three months earlier, it’s a standout must hear set. Go listen. Right now.
From most first-hand friend accounts, and even those who followed on Couch Tour, the band is getting fans talking for the right reasons. No longer is the chatter of the “when the next TTE will hit” variety. Those are now being substituted (and rightfully so) for “Was that really a full band ‘FYF’ tease in Mikes?” As one of my pals said “This is one of the reasons Phish is one of the greatest bands, because we can have discussions like these.” These discussions are happening with more vigor lately.
With GuyUtica behind us, it feels as though Phish is building and building to a complete throwdown on Halloween in Atlantic City, maybe even sooner. No one is sure what’s going to happen next and that’s just the way we like it.
“New Rules” for Fall Tour so far?
(Politically Incorrect w/ Bill Maher style)
- Sand – added once again to the regular rotation? It has now come out to play four times in 2010 after only seeing the light once in 2003 and just twice last year after Hampton.
- Hydrogen – With Augusta’s Mike’s Groove in the bag, Hydrogen is on official red alert. It’s gone missing and was last seen in Telluride, CO.
- Tela – Although it still eludes me, this has been slowly integrated back after it’s bustout status… showing up on Summer tour and now Fall tour early enough to be played again. To say we could get a 4th Tela this year would have gotten you laughed at ten years ago.
- Older songs have new energy – David Bowie, Harry Hood, Mike’s Grooves, Reba, Slave, 2001, Guyute(ica). These songs have all been given some treatment. The Reba encore from Augusta will most likely appear on Best of the Year lists.
- Halloween – the rumors aren’t landing on any solid ground, with just seven days before most make their way to Atlantic City. In some ways it leads me to believe that the early King Crimson Larks’ Tongues in Aspic talk is more of an internet decoy than anything. Trey did mention “the” supposed album in an 03′ Relix Magazine but I’ve heard in a few different places that a horn section or horn player is involved in the performance. Neither one really gives enough info for solid speculation. A Frank Zappa album would benefit greatly from horns, but so would a lot of albums. Just a shot in the ‘Halloween’ dark for now.
- Will Phish cover the new milk inspired, “Calci-Yum” tune? – It was apparently co-written by Vermont’s own Broccoli Rob & Trey Anastasio and mentioned in last night’s episode of NBC’s The Office.
Have a great weekend, and if your going to Providence and Amherst, buckle up…I’ll see you in Manchvegas on the way to Atlantic City!
Stats from Mr. ZZYZX’s Phish Stats
Bonus video before tonight’s show:
About the author
Aaron is originally from the east coast (Warren, MA) but currently resides on the West Side in Santa Monica, CA working as an editor for the Fox Sports Network. Besides live music (Phish, Wilco, Bill Frisell), he appreciates street art, photography, Wes Anderson films, and traveling. Follow him on twitter and instagram.
- 05/07/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: The Meter Men with Page McConnell @ Jazz Fest 2013
- 05/06/2013 • PHOTOS: Final Day @ Jazz Fest 2013 (Trombone Shorty, Black Keys, Meter Men with Page & More)
- 04/30/2013 • Phish Releases 6/20/95 and “The Fleezer” from 6/22/95
- 04/21/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Record Store Day 2013
- 04/18/2013 • David Gilmour Remembers Storm Thorgerson (1944-2013)
- 05/24/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: Colin Stetson @ Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 5/9/13
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track