Apple Announces Ping, the iTunes Music Social Network
I’m watching the Apple keynote live on USTREAM.tv and I wasn’t fully expecting that they’d be unveiling a new social network for music built right into iTunes. It’s called Ping, and it’s built into iTunes 10, which is available starting today at apple.com/iTunes. Also, as part of the iTunes Store, you’ll see Ping on your iPhones and iPod Touches. The part that caught my eye was the fact that they’ll be artist tour dates built right into the interface. It doesn’t seem like the new version is up yet but we’ll be digging right into this to find out more. Based on the presentation, there are over 17,000 tour dates in their artist database and it’s going to be easy to say “I’m going” and just post on what concerts you’re attending for all your friends to see. Can’t wait to test the implementation.
Chris Martin just took the stage for a live performance, too. More on this as it comes in…
Update: Live Nation and Ticketmaster will be powering the tour dates. Tons of links on the subject here…
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13