Ticketmaster Launches New Blog, New Policies
Ticketmaster launched a new blog called Ticketology, and today’s first post details out a change in policy on how service fees will now be disclosed up-front when you’re purchasing tickets from the company.
We get it – you don’t like service fees. You don’t like them mostly because you don’t understand what the heck they are for. We’ll try to do a better job in this space over the coming months of helping you understand our business, and how our fees compare to others in the industry (both in ticketing and ecommerce in general). But the reality of the live entertainment business is that service fees have become an extension of the ticket price. Most of the parties in the live event value chain participate in these service fees either directly or indirectly – promoters, venues, teams, artists, and yes, ticketing companies – and service fee rebates are our largest annual expense at Ticketmaster.
They also announced that Live Nation venues will now honor a three-day return policy in advance enough of the show. This includes The Fillmore in SF, Irving Plaza in NYC, The Gorge in WA, and even Alpine Valley in WI. Go here for the full list of venues.
I’d hate to get my hopes up that this will put the company at the forefront of fan-driven decisions, but this is at least a step in the right direction.
[if-cf-def "sources"]Read more: [cf "sources" separator=", "]
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 08/25/2011 • Ticketmaster and Facebook Unveil “See Where Your Friends Are Sitting” Feature
- 05/18/2011 • Ticketing Start-up Eventbrite Gets $50M, Bigger Events
- 09/01/2010 • iTunes Ping Tour Dates Powered by Live Nation & Ticketmaster
- 09/01/2010 • Apple Announces Ping, the iTunes Music Social Network
- 07/15/2010 • Live Nation to Investors: “We’ll Figure It Out Soon!”
- 05/25/2013 • Tommy Hamilton’s Beard and Straight Unexpected Fire – Electron @ Toad’s Place 5/11/13
- 05/24/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: Colin Stetson @ Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 5/9/13
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates