Review: Holy Fuck, Nice Nice @ The Independent, SF 6/8/10
I saw Holy Fuck last week here at the Independent with the Portland duo Nice Nice, and left feeling like I had seen a pretty killer show all things considered. Nice Nice was a bit sonically boring even though their approach to music — a duo featuring a drummer, guitarist and a shitload of loops — was hardly that. I was impressed and inspired musically, but much more content as a music fan when Holy Fuck finally took the stage to a surprisingly packed room. The whole set was pretty rad, even with their odd placement midset for the album openers on Latin, a slow building ambient buildup that leads into the track “Red Lights.” Their keyboard for “Stilettos” broke right as they were launching into the song, and we’ve confirmed that they’ll hope to play it again someday.
Here were some other reviews from the show…
Body Language, Pro: I appreciated the bassist’s aggressive head-banging and the way he aimed the neck of his guitar, even if not purposely, towards thy sky like a rifle.
Body Language, Con: The popple-headed blonde dude smack dab in the middle of the floor and at the lip of the stage were a bouncy distraction in the undulating sea of bobbing heads.
Body Language, If You’re Down: The crowd was heavy on the boy side, super drenched in dudeness. This could be a plus for hetero single ladies looking for some bro eye-raping, but I was not so down with the lack of lady representation.
Holy Fuck showed that there’s more to electro dance-rock than simply pushing some buttons on a laptop. Armed with a suit case full of keyboards and other eccentric toys, the Canadian four piece, that’s right four, rocked a fairly packed house of musical gizmo enthusiasts.
Go catch these guys while they’re still on tour.
Holy Fuck 2010 Tour Dates
Jun 14 2010 Rock Lobster w/ Nice Nice Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Jun 26 2010 Glastonbury Festival – Glastonbury Festival Pilton, UK
Jun 27 2010 Glastonbury Festival – Glastonbury Festival Pilton, UK
Jul 5 2010 Club Soda – Festival International de Jazz de Montreal Montreal, Quebec , CA
Jul 9 2010 Molson Amphitheatre w/ Metric and Passion Pit Toronto, Ontario , CA
Jul 15 2010 Camp Bisco 9 Festival Mariaville, New York
Jul 23 2010 Capitol Hill Block Party Seattle, WA
Jul 27 2010 The Rock House St. John’s, NL
Jul 30 2010 Sappyfest – Sappyfest Sackville, New Brunsw, CA
Aug 28 2010 Leeds Festival Leeds, W. Yorkshi, UNITED KINGDOM
Aug 29 2010 Reading Festival Reading, UNITED KINGDOM
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 04/20/2012 • What the Festival?! Lineup Announced: Beats Antique, Claude VonStroke, Bonobo and more
- 03/21/2012 • Camp Bisco 2012 Lineup: Bisco, Skrillex, Bassnectar and more…
- 11/06/2011 • REVIEW: Moogfest 2011 (Tobin, Battles, FlyLo, STS9, UM & more)
- 10/10/2011 • PREVIEW / VIDEOS: 10 Must-See Artists @ Moogfest 2011
- 09/27/2011 • Moogfest 2011: Daily Schedule Announced
- 05/20/2013 • R.I.P. Ray Manzarek, The Doors (1939-2013)
- 05/20/2013 • Coachella 2014: Dates Confirmed, Presales Soon
- 05/20/2013 • First City Festival: Passion Pit, Modest Mouse, MGMT, Beach House and more
- 05/19/2013 • WATCH: Kanye West on Saturday Night Live
- 05/19/2013 • SETLIST / VIDEO: Rolling Stones (w/ Dave Grohl) @ Honda Center, Anaheim, CA 5/18/13