Review: Pavement @ Fox Theater, Pomona 4/15/10
Our good friend Aaron Fortin filed this report for us from the Pavement show in Pomona, CA from the other night. Given that the band is about to rage everyone’s pants off today at Coachella, I figured I’d drop the post today to give the rest of us an idea of what they can expect.
My ears are still ringing and my grin is still wide after Pavement’s gig at the beautiful Fox Theatre in Pomona last night. The stage was haphazardly draped with hanging lights and lead singer/lyricist, Stephen Malkamus, if you weren’t in the first 10 rows, looked like he was twenty years old again, bouncing around, guitar swinging, side-stepping across the stage. There was nostalgia to be found, but it was embraced wholeheartedly by the audience and the band. Although this is being labeled a “warm-up” for Coachella, I can tell you, if you were there last night, it was everything but. 31 songs, 2+ hours and two encores later, the audience was slammed over the head with some really aggressive playing. The band, especially bassist Mark Ibold and drummer Steve West were taking chances, not running through a greatest hits collection like some may have feared going into this “reunion.” As their 1992 debut album’s title suggests (Slanted & Enchanted), I’m pretty sure most of the audience was just that last night…
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 05/20/2013 • Coachella 2014: Dates Confirmed, Presales Soon
- 04/18/2013 • WATCH: Selling Coachella Weekend Two Tix Is Almost Impossible
- 04/13/2013 • WATCH: How To Destroy Angels FULL SET @ Coachella 2013
- 04/13/2013 • WATCH: Daft Punk steal the show at Coachella without performing
- 04/13/2013 • COUCHELLA: Day Two features Phoenix, The Postal Service, Grizzly Bear, Hot Chip, Janelle Monae & More
- 06/18/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Four Highlights and Best of Roo Awards
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify
- 06/17/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Three Highlights (Superjam, Two Gallants & William Tyler)