Download: Panda Bear @ All Tomorrow’s Parties, 9/11/09
We didn’t have anyone on hand to round-up the festivities a few weekends back up in the Catskills of NY where the All Tomorrow’s Parties party went down, but I found a few choice updates from the fest that got some other folks blogging. The main takeaway was this Panda Bear download, even if it’s a low-quality FM rip, because it was his only show scheduled for 2009. He played a set complete with Animal Collective songs reworked, Panda Bear songs revisited, and a few new tracks that had yet to see the light of day.
I haven’t stopped listening to it since it made the journey to my hard drive, so I figured I’d offer it up here as a download track by track.
Panda Bear @ All Tomorrow’s Parties, 9/11/09
Source: FM rip, 192kpbs
Grab the whole zip file here.
I really dig how “Chores” opens the set, and I was most happy to see that the old arrangement of “Guys Eyes” makes the set as well. The version that Animal Collective recorded for use on Merriweather Post Pavilion was good, but I always liked the original feel of the song when Panda Bear debuted this. “Ponytail” is arguably the most beautiful track off Panda Bear’s only release, Person Pitch, and it gets the proper treatment on this recording to keep the song as beautiful as it was on the album. Then the set moves onto a new song which has plenty of room to grow and get fleshed out, but I like where it stands today also. I’m sure this will be something that makes his next release, if/when we ever get him to do one. “Daily Routine” isn’t as true to form as you’d think, but “Bros” is just about spot-on to what you’d expect of that song. The “Boneless” jam is probably my highlight from the end of the set, which was captured rather shakily here:
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 10/04/2011 • STREAM THIS: Battles @ All Tomorrow’s Parties
- 01/27/2011 • All Tomorrow’s Parties 2011: Portishead Curating, Festival Moves to Asbury Park, NJ
- 08/31/2010 • ATP Concerts Don’t Look Back Presents: The Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr. and Deerhoof
- 07/16/2008 • Pitchfork 2008 | Festival Preview, Two Three-Day Passes Contest
- 03/11/2008 • Pitchfork Music Festival | 2008 Initial Lineup
- 05/19/2013 • WATCH: Kanye West on Saturday Night Live
- 05/19/2013 • SETLIST / VIDEO: Rolling Stones (w/ Dave Grohl) @ Honda Center, Anaheim, CA 5/18/13
- 05/17/2013 • My Morning Jacket Will Begin Work On New LP This Fall
- 05/17/2013 • PHOTOS: Kurt Vile & the Violators @ Bowery Ballroom, NYC 5/16/13
- 05/17/2013 • Interlocken Festival 2013: Neil Young, Furthur, SCI, Black Crowes and More