Bumbershoot 2009: Saturday Recap
The first day of Bumbershoot started early at 12:30 with an indoor set by Dyno Jamz. An up-and-coming funky hip-hop act from here in Seattle, they recently won the EMP Sound Off Competition, an under 21 battle of the bands now approaching its 8th year. Supported by the grandeur of the EMP Sky Church’s enormous lighting rig, the band ripped through a solid hour long set filled with some new material and a few spoken word moments as well.
After Dyno Jamz we hit up Natalie Portman’s Shaved Head, who also happen to be past winners of the EMP Sound Off Competition. Though the crowd had an average age of about 16 and there were more braces in sight than my 5th grade class picture, the band played an energetic show with a stage presence well beyond what one might expect at first glance. The songs were all fun indie-electronica tracks with quirky lyrics, and the band never showed a moment of taking themselves too seriously. Definitely a highlight of the weekend and a live show worth checking out if you get the opportunity.
We made stops at Massey Ferguson and Matt & Kim, both of whom were fun enough but not very memorable. A big personal highlight of Bumbershoot 2008, the Old 97′s, and a band I had high expectations for this year, failed to live up to my memory of last year’s show. I have a feeling this was a result of moving the band to the main stage during an evening slot, where the band just didn’t feel right. Last year’s sunny daytime set on a medium-sized stage was the right venue for the band, and fit their music much better.
Elvis Perkins in Dearland, however, played an amazing show. Though we arrived a little late after a few detours and had a mediocre view from the side of the stage, the band a beautiful set and was a great way to wind down the evening before heading home.
All photos Kane Jamison.
- 08/02/2011 • Toro y Moi Drop “How I Know” Video, Outside Lands, Moog Fest, Tour Dates
- 09/15/2010 • Bumbershoot 2010: Day Two Photos and Video
- 09/07/2010 • Bumbershoot 2010: Day One Photos and Videos
- 09/03/2010 • 10 Must-See Bands @ Bumbershoot 2010
- 06/01/2010 • Bumbershoot 2010 Lineup Announced: Bob Dylan, Mary J. Blige, Weezer, Hole and more
- 05/17/2013 • My Morning Jacket Will Begin Work On New LP This Fall
- 05/17/2013 • PHOTOS: Kurt Vile & the Violators @ Bowery Ballroom, NYC 5/16/13
- 05/17/2013 • Interlocken Festival 2013: Neil Young, Furthur, SCI, Black Crowes and More
- 05/17/2013 • WEBCAST: Hangout Music Fest 2013 on MTV.com
- 05/16/2013 • NEW MUSIC: Queens of the Stone Age Debut “If I Had A Tail”