Review: Holy Fuck @ The Independent, San Francisco 8/27/09
Last Thursday night I got to see one of my favorite bands to see live, Holy Fuck, but the show left a little bit to be desired in my opinion. Maybe it’s because I had seen them like, five times the previous year and accepted the fact that their set would likely be pretty similar all along the way. Fast forward to a year later and I’m living in San Fran now, and it appears the band is pretty much playing the exact same set they’ve been playing for the past few years. For a fan like me, I guess I demand a bit more out of the artists I continually go see live, and sadly this band may have just dropped into the “maybe I’ll see them if it’s convenient” category of artists that I bucket in my head with my rampant over-critical nature.
That said, I had a great time at the show with my fellow band mates and got some good inspiration for some new melodies I should bust out on my next Bebot jam. They opened with “The Pulse” like they always do, but no one can deny that this is potentially one of the best set-openers ever written. When they got to “Super Inuit,” and raged through that, I mimicked the sample that starts “Lovely Allen” into my friend’s ear and the band followed me with the actual sample about 5 seconds later. Thankfully they did take an encore break and they came back with three songs that seemed to bring a lot more energy into the otherwise lifeless crowd.
If you’ve never seen these guys live, I think they’re a solid bet. Here are their dates on JamBase. They’re playing Bumbershoot coming up and then playing on Halloween at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago with the Disco Biscuits. Now that would be a hot show…
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 02/28/2013 • FEED THE ROCKS: Disco Biscuits, Shpongle, and RJD2 @ Red Rocks, April 27th
- 02/21/2013 • Camp Bisco 2013 Lineup: Disco Biscuits, Animal Collective, Umphrey’s McGee, STS9, Bassnectar & More
- 01/27/2013 • The Disco Biscuits Announce Last Minute Show @ Fox Theatre Tonight
- 01/09/2013 • NYE ROUNDUP: MMJ, Umphrey’s McGee, Primus, Furthur, Avett Brothers, Disco Biscuits & More
- 10/19/2012 • CONCERT RECAP / PHOTOS: CITY BISCO @ The Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA 10/5-10/6/12
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes