Flight of the Conchords > Google Layoff > LMB 4.0 > Animal Collective
I know the title of this post probably makes absolutely no sense, so let me try to explain.
Today is kind of a crazy day for me in a few respects. It’s my last official day at Google as a full-time employee, which might seem like something that could put a damper on the rest of the day for me, but it’s being offset by tonight’s Animal Collective show here at the Fox Theater in Oakland. I don’t think I’ve ever been more anticipatory and excited for a band that I’ve never seen live before. I’ve become largely familiar with their humongous catalog over the past year or so and this band has really been what I’ve listened to the most since I moved out of my comfort zone in the Midwest to the Wild West. And because I have this show tonight to look forward to, I’m proud and happy to announce that this show marks the start of a whole new era for me and the site itself.
I know that all of the changes we’ve gone through around here have definitely caused a loss of, well, confidence in our ability to be a kick-ass music blog. I think a lot of that has just been me responding to a lot of the external pressures of life and love and the search for inner happiness, which is nothing that any of you live music fans really care too much about, so for that I want to deeply apologize. I’ve learned a lot about what turns my gears over the last year, and music and being a music fan is something that is deeply important to me. It’s something I want to continue to share with the world, so thanks for all the people that continue to read the site and hang out with us on a weekly basis. This week is when that weekly stop-by can start changing to daily, because I’m going to be focusing a lot of energy on the site over the next few months. I know I’ve said that before, but this time I really do mean it, bitches.
Let’s start our week off with a little clip from the fantastic Flight of the Conchords show I saw last night in Berkeley. The band opened with “Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor” which absolutely killed it, and the show was hilarious front to back. Some of the comedy interludes were really just Bret and Jemaine winding down from a long tour (Berkeley being the last stop), which brought out this moment that you’ll see below.
Read on for another video of the aforementioned opener “Too Many Dicks…” from a few nights before I saw them.
Follow the Live Music Blog.com Twitter account if you want to see what’s happening at the AC show tonight.
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 04/30/2013 • Bonnaroo Announces 2013 Late Night Lineup
- 03/04/2013 • Forecastle Festival 2013 Lineup: Black Keys, String Cheese Incident, Animal Collective and more
- 02/21/2013 • Camp Bisco 2013 Lineup: Disco Biscuits, Animal Collective, Umphrey’s McGee, STS9, Bassnectar & More
- 02/19/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013 Lineup: Paul McCartney, Mumford & Sons, Tom Petty, Bjork, Pretty Lights, Wilco and more
- 01/22/2013 • 2013 Governors Ball Lineup: Kanye West, Kings of Leon, Pretty Lights, Animal Collective and more
- 05/24/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: Colin Stetson @ Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 5/9/13
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track