Mates of State, Black Kids | Tonight, Live in Concert from All Songs Considering
The music of Mates of State has always been playfully innocent and unabashedly upbeat. Since forming a decade ago in Lawrence, Kan., the husband-and-wife duo of Kori Gardner and Jason Hammel has released a string of sticky-sweet studio albums with hooky synth lines, two-part harmonies and bounding rhythms. But on their latest CD, Re-Arrange Us, Gardner and Hammel show that they’ve grown a little older and wiser, with their richest and most reflective collection of songs to date. Hear Mates of State showcase the new album in a full concert, webcast live on NPR.org from the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. The live audio stream will begin at approximately 10 p.m. ET.
Co-headlining Saturday’s concert is the Florida-based band Black Kids. The quintet’s 2008 album Partie Traumatic featured the wildly addictive and hugely popular song “I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You.” The track was a massive hit on the blogosphere, giving the band tremendous buzz and heaps of praise from critics.
Apr. 4: Mates Of State, Live In Concert [NPR]
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 06/18/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Four Highlights and Best of Roo Awards
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify
- 06/17/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Three Highlights (Superjam, Two Gallants & William Tyler)