Photos: Pnuma Trio & Eliot Lipp @ The Lakeshore Theater, Chicago 5/16/08
Two Friday’s ago, Pnuma Trio played The Lakeshore Theater here in Chicago and the superb Eliot Lipp opened the show for the Memphis based trio. The show was really, really solid with an awesome opening set from the down tempo/hip-hop guru Eliot Lipp. This was my first time seeing Pnuma so I won’t make any claims on the quality of their show in comparison to others but I really enjoyed their sound and thought the group played really tight throughout the night.
The venue was kinda a jam-up for this type of music being a real theater — seats and all — but it was a last minute venue change from the Bottom Lounge. It seemed not to effect the crowd nor the music, both acts seemed delighted to be playing in Chicago. Two thing that were great about the Lakeshore Theater were the lights and the polite, accommodating staff both helping me to take some really nice photos. Check out the rest after the jump…
Being a little bit late I missed a few songs of Eliot Lipp but I got super luck and rolled in right as he was dropping “The Outside” from his newest record of the same name. The song kills it and it got me right in the mood for Eliot Lipp’s unique take on electronica. His set lasted a little more than an hour and he moved the crowd as well as any DJ I’ve seen in a while. As a band, Pnuma Trio must be delighted to have Lipp on tour with them.
Pnuma Trio (w/out Ben) & Eliot Lipp
We got really lucky when Alex Botwin and Lane Shaw, bass and drums respectively, from Pnuma came out and did a tune with Eliot Lipp. It was a good display of where a lot of newer eletronica bands may be headed, outfitted with a DJ at all times.
Pnuma Trio came out immediately after Eliot Lipp finished and I mean immediately. They took a quick second to get the sound right and immediately jumped into the music. I’m sure sensed the energy that Lipp created and wanted to let that ride out into their show. This band is super tight, which is what I guess three classically trained jazz musicians would do with electronic music. I’m not familiar with any songs but their sound falls somewhere in between where the Disco Biscuits leave off and STS9 picks up. Not straight live trance yet not quite IDM. I really enjoyed the show and hope to see these guys again soon. Enjoy the photos!
- 02/28/2013 • FEED THE ROCKS: Disco Biscuits, Shpongle, and RJD2 @ Red Rocks, April 27th
- 02/21/2013 • Camp Bisco 2013 Lineup: Disco Biscuits, Animal Collective, Umphrey’s McGee, STS9, Bassnectar & More
- 01/27/2013 • The Disco Biscuits Announce Last Minute Show @ Fox Theatre Tonight
- 01/09/2013 • NYE ROUNDUP: MMJ, Umphrey’s McGee, Primus, Furthur, Avett Brothers, Disco Biscuits & More
- 10/19/2012 • CONCERT RECAP / PHOTOS: CITY BISCO @ The Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA 10/5-10/6/12
- 05/20/2013 • R.I.P. Ray Manzarek, The Doors (1939-2013)
- 05/20/2013 • Coachella 2014: Dates Confirmed, Presales Soon
- 05/20/2013 • First City Festival: Passion Pit, Modest Mouse, MGMT, Beach House and more
- 05/19/2013 • WATCH: Kanye West on Saturday Night Live
- 05/19/2013 • SETLIST / VIDEO: Rolling Stones (w/ Dave Grohl) @ Honda Center, Anaheim, CA 5/18/13