JazzFest Preview | Le Bon Temps Continue
JazzFest is in full swing and last week must have been some time with all of the amazing acts that flooded the Crescent City. We here at LMB wish we could be down in the warm, vibrant atmosphere but our moves and for me, lack of funds, have kept leisure traveling to a minimum. We’ll get out on the road a bit this summer, promise.
A friend who lives down in the city says that the weather has been okay but the music has been incredible. I hope more than a few of you were able to catch some of the shows we featured last week. This week we are going to try and put a few more bells and whistles on the recommendations so you won’t have to fly on our word of mouth alone. Even though I assure you we are almost always spot on. Follow the jump to see what we’ve put our stamp of approval on for this week.
This weekend is a bit more all-encompassing in terms of genres after last week’s jazz/funk extravaganza but there are still a few bands that will make everyone in the room drop the booty to the floor.
Friday, May 2nd
1.Lettuce @ Tipitina’s French Quarter, 10pm ($20)
– Thank god Lettuce is playing and touring again. Made up of two parts Soulive, one part Adam Dietch and four parts badass, their return is a welcome sound. Just peep their tune “The Dump.”
2. Marco Benevento, Reed Mathis & Matt Chamberlain @ One Eyed Jack’s
– A belated CD release party for Marco’s Invisible Baby should be a really strong night showcasing some of the young guns in the avant garde jazz scene. Check out Marco & Co. kill a cover of Pink Floyd’s “Fearless.”
Saturday, May 3rd
1. Greyboy Allstars @ Tipitina’s Uptown, 2am ($35)
– The Greyboy Allstars returned from their uber-successful solo projects to throw a new album together last April and a few short run tours after that. If you weren’t lucky enough to score tickets to the Creole Queen show then hit this one and enjoy.
2. Umphrey’s McGee @ House of Blues, 2am
– Really a Sunday show, if you haven’t found the bed, floor or someone special by this time then catch the boys from Chicago at this late night show. They will not dissappoint, I feel like they live for a time slot like this. Just look at what they dropped on the crowd on NYE back in 2006…
Umphrey’s McGee – Dick in a Box [YouTube]
Sunday, May 4th
1. Hyena Records Showcase feat. Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Marco Benevento, Skerik and special guests @ Blue Nile, 9pm ($20)
– This will be an amazing concert displaying a really diverse label’s most talented musicians. This crew will be constantly trying to one up each other which will be welcome to any music fan.
2. Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk @ Tipitina’s Uptown, 10pm ($30)
– Finish up JazzFest with some of the contemporary musicians who made the city famous in one of the cities most famous clubs. If you need more reason than that, you need your pulse checked.
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes
- 05/21/2013 • JamBase Live at The Gorge Has Been Cancelled
- 05/21/2013 • SETLIST / RECAP / VIDEO: Rolling Stones @ Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA 5/20/13
- 05/21/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Moon Taxi @ Tipitina’s Uptown, New Orleans, LA 5/16/13
- 05/21/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Soundgarden @ The Oakdale Theatre, Wallingford, CT 5/17/13