Anyone who’s attended the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival can tell you that the fire on the bayou doesn’t happen on the New Orleans Fair Grounds, it happens at the hundreds of jazz bars and clubs throughout one of America’s most eccentric city. The late-night gigs are “where all the action happens, in my opinion anyway,” according to Robert Walter. Take it from him, he’s a NOLA native and can make Dick Cheney dance like Bill Cosby with his Hammond B3. As fans of jazz and New Orleans, we here at LMB want to alert any and all who may be heading down to some of these club gigs that may not be showing up on the radar. Please take a minute to hit us back with shows you’re excited to see…follow the jump to see what the people say.
Because the festival is two weeks long , with a focus on the next two weekends, we’re focusing on shows from the now through until next Thursday and then we’ll post for the following weekend.
Thursday, April 24th
Friday, April 25th
1. Dr. Lonnie Smith, Skerik, Will Bernard, Donald Harrison, & Simon Lott @ Blue Nile, 9:30pm ($20)
2. The Disco Biscuits @ Tipitina’s Uptown, 2am ($20)
3. Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk, The Headhunters, Leo Nocentelli w/ Stanton Moore & friends @ Howlin’ Wolf, 9pm ($25)
Saturday, April 26th
1. Benevento/Russo Duo (acoustic) @ Preservation Hall, 12am ($15, $20 d/o)
2. Galactic feat. Lateef the TRUTH Speaker & Chali2na @ Tipitina’s Uptown, 2am ($25)
3. Joe Krown Trio feat. Russell Batiste & Walter Washington special guest Eric Krasno @ The Rusty Nail, 9pm ($15)
Sunday, April 27th
1. George Porter Jr., Ivan Neville, Russell Batiste, Ian Neville, Skerik & Eric Krasno @ Howlin’ Wolf, 9pm ($25, includes below)
2. Marco Benevento, Joe Russo, Eric Krasno & Skerik @ Howlin Wolf, Late Night!
3. Dr. Lonnie Smith, Stanton Moore, Donald Harrison, Will Bernard @ Blue Nile, 8pm ($20)
Monday, April 28th
1. Instruments a Comin’ 2008 Benefit Concert @ Tipitina’s Uptown, 6pm ($40, $200 for VIP)
2. GO TO THE ABOVE SHOW
3. GO TO THE ABOVE SHOW
Tuesday, April 29th
1. Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Skerik’s Maelstrom Trio @ Hi-Ho Lounge, 9pm ($10)
2. Marco Benevento & Johnny Vidacovich @ DBA, 10pm
3. Karl Denson, The New Mastersounds @ Blue Nile, 12am ($15)
Wednesday, April 30th
1. Megolmaniacs Ball (Garage-a-trois, Mike Dillon’s Go-Go Jungle, Skerik’s Maelstrom Trio, and Marco Benevento Trio feat Reed Mathis & Matt Chamberlain) @ Howlin’ Wolf, 9:30pm ($20, $25 at door)
2. Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, The Quartet feat Adam Dietch, Nick Daniels, Ian Neville, Big Sam Williams @ Blue Nile, 10pm ($10)
3. Soulive feat. Sam Kininger @ One Eyed Jacks, 10pm ($28)
Follow up with us next Thursday and we’ll bring it back with some more shows. Everyone have a safe and fun Jazzfest!