A Look Back at Langerado 2007 | Day One
Langerado 2008 is approaching quickly, folks. As this year’s gathering expands to four-days, we thought it would be a good opportunity to take a look back at the musical feast that was last years event. Today’s focus is Friday, with Saturday and Sunday to come later in the week. Justin’s preview of this year’s event is here.
Friday night was topped off by a tight set from Trey Anastasio. In what would turn out to be his last performance to date (taking time off to get himself together following his arrest in upstate New York in mid-December), Trey delivered a tight show that featured Ivan Neville on keyboards for a mid-set “Mud City.”
If the set was light on Phish favorites, it was a good overview of his solo career and even featured a smoking “First Tube” to end his long set. Anytime I see Trey, I’m a happy man. However, his set was only one of a number of top flight performances on the opening day of the festival.
Earlier that Friday started off with one of my favorite bands, Tea Leaf Green. It is always a treat when one of your favorites is early in a fest schedule. You can get right up front without having to fight the crowds.
After Tea Leaf Green, we made our way to the other end of the festival to the Sunset Stage for two bands that would be highlights of the event. First up was Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. If you haven’t heard their retro yet modern R&B sound, then you are missing something. They put on a high-energy set that could have been straight out of the Apollo in 1964 and really had the crowd moving.
Following Sharon Jones was The Hold Steady. They always bring a big, loud show, and this set was no exception.
Just before Trey closed out the day, moe. performed a well-received set. I’ve never been a big fan, and this show didn’t do anything to change my mind, although it didn’t turn me into a hater, either.
Friday was a nice appetizer, setting us up nicely for the meat and potatoes, Saturday and Sunday.
My entire set of Langerado 2007 photos can be found here. Stay tuned for a recap of Saturday’s festivities.
- 03/04/2013 • Forecastle Festival 2013 Lineup: Black Keys, String Cheese Incident, Animal Collective and more
- 09/26/2012 • FESTIVAL RECAP: Life is good Festival 2012
- 06/07/2012 • Life is Good 2012 Festival Lineup Announced
- 06/06/2012 • Bonnaroo 2012 Webcast Schedule Posted
- 04/16/2012 • LMB NYC: Concert Calendar (April 16-22) – Furthur, Kraftwerk, Paul Simon, Greyboys, Sphongle, Brothers Past
- 05/25/2013 • Tommy Hamilton’s Beard and Straight Unexpected Fire – Electron @ Toad’s Place 5/11/13
- 05/24/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: Colin Stetson @ Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 5/9/13
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates