Phish Friday | Chula Vista ’99
For today’s selection, I grabbed a somewhat random piece from my own back catalog of shows I had amassed as a fan. There was a fantastic run of shows through California on the Fall 1999 tour, and the show at the Coors Ampitheatre in Chula Vista stood out for me. It’s still absurd to think that it was still a few weeks before I saw the band for the first time at the Redbird Arena show at Illinois State University.
At any rate, the Chula Vista show had a second set that was funky all around. I had it on tape, and I distinctly remember driving through Honolulu later that year listening to this and being mighty impressed with the “Contact > Tweezer Reprise” to end that show.
The night before, Phil Lesh came out for a mega-bass jam / Dead cover segment that had everyone seriously buzzing afterwards. Remember that?
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 05/24/2013 • PHOTOS / VIDEOS: Colin Stetson @ Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 5/9/13
- 05/23/2013 • WATCH: Prince – “Let’s Go Crazy -> FixUrLifeUp -> Let’s Go Crazy” @ Billboard Music Awards 2013
- 05/22/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Devendra Banhart @ Regency Ballroom, SF 5/21/13
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track