Weekly Roundup | BBQ’ing in Chicago Edition
It’s insanely nice in Chicago today so I’m not going to spending too much time on the site or thinking about live music or wishing that I had attended Coachella this year (for the first time). No no no, I’ll be spending some time enjoying this weather and gearing up for a fantastic summer in the city…
If you feel like sharing, what were you up to today? Drop some love in the comments, and hopefully the weather is good by you and you’re NOT spending too much time catching up on Live Music Blog stuff. Have a good one, dudes…
Full weekly roundup after the jump.
- Coachella 2007 Webcast
AT&T will once-again be webcasting from this year’s Coachella Music Festival. There isn’t any schedule posted yet but I’m sure they’ll hit the high points (meaning, Rage Against the Machine). “Placing the obligation to respect oneâ€™s own symbolic significance aside…
- Brothers Past 4/21/07 at the Beat Kitchen | Late-Night Chicago Dance-Party
After a fairly mellow Friday night catching Andrew Bird and Apostle of Hustle, we turned it up a notch and caught a latenight dance party by Brothers Past at the Beat Kitchen. Saturday night’s show likely took care of any misconceptions or questions about the band’s sound. BP brought their A-game.
- Menomena | 2007 Tour Dates
Menomena is one of those “acquired taste” sort of bands — I think you either love their music or you hate it. I got to see one of their sets down at SXSW 2007 — they were slated on…
- Umphrey’s McGee and the Disco Biscuits | Playin’ at the Zoo for Mother Earth
The Chicago portion of the Green Apple Music festival came to a close Sunday with a free show at Chicago’s Lincoln Park Zoo. The weather and mellow vibe was perfect for a Sunday afternoon in the zoo….Luckily, we made it just in time to catch music by the Disco Biscuits’ and Umphrey’s McGee, the event’s headliners.
- Green Apple Music Festival | Akasha, the Drastics at Double Door, 4/20/07
A small review from the Akasha / the Drastics / Juice and the Machine show from April 20, Double Door, Chicago.
- All Good Music Festival 2007 | Artist Additions, Round I
The 2007 All Good Music Festival has added some artists to its initial lineup. The festival takes place July 13-15 at Marvin’s Mountaintop, WV, and has added Benevento-Russo Duo, Drive-By Truckers, Ryan Montbleau Band, Sam Bush, The Bridge, and The Lee Boys.
- Mountain Jam 2007 | Phil Lesh and Other Artists Added
The 2007 Mountain Jam Music Festival has made several recent announcements, including a nice set of additions to its initial artist lineup. The festival takes place June 1st – 3rd at Hunter Mountain in Hunter, NY, and now includes Phil & Friends, G. Love & Special Sauce, Assembly of Dust, Earl Greyhound and Papa Mali.
- Beastie Boys Go All Instrumental and Whatnot
Photo © carolinebittencourt A few weeks ago, we got some email updates from one of my all-time favorite bands, the Beastie Boys. Say what you will about white-boy hip hop or their latest lackluster studio effort, To the 5…
- Camp Bisco 2007 | Initial Lineup Announced
After briefly announcing on Sunday the date and location for their annual Camp Bisco extravaganza, the Biscuits have officially released the festival’s initial lineup. Camp Bisco VI will take place August 16th – 18th at the Indian Lookout Country Club in Pattersonville, NY.
- Pitchfork Music Festival | Lineup Additions, Round III
The Pitchfork Music Festival made some more additions to its 2007 lineup. The Chicago festival takes place July 13th – 15th at Union Park, and now includes the following artists performing some of their key albums: Sonic Youth (perform Daydream Nation), GZA/Genius (performs Liquid Swords), and Slint (perform Spiderland).
- Umphrey’s Mcgee | Vic Theater, Chicago, 4/21/07
Umphrey’s McGee was an easy prediction as the Chicago anchor for Green Apple Music Festival, not too surprising considering it’s their hometown. And not to mention the fact that the band’s management helped to bring the festival to the…
- Heady Links | Festival Updates Edition
There have been a bunch of small festival announcements and updates this week, so what better way to lump them all together than in one big humpday ‘heady links’ post?
- Live from Green Apple NYC: Jon Anderson and the School of Rock
From time to time, we like to feature other people’s writing on Live Music Blog — because let’s face it, sometimes you’re just sick of reading about how much we’re into Bisco or how much we drool over Umphrey’s McGee….
- The Mars Volta Perform on the Henry Rollins Show
The Mars Volta is this week’s musical guest on The Henry Rollins Show. They play their 12 minute song, “Day of the Baphomets,” completely uncut and unabridged. They’ve also posted an exclusive clip for the web — the band…
- 10,000 Lakes Festival | Artist Additions, Round 3
The 10,000 Lakes Festival — which takes place July 18 – 21 in Detroit Lakes, MN — has announced another round of artist additions including Galactic, Toubab Krewe, Kaki King, Dubconscious and more…
- Coachella 2007 | AT&T Webcast Schedule Posted
The time table for the 2007 Coachella Music Festival webcast — sponsored and provided exclusively by the AT&T Blueroom — has been posted. It begins today at 3pm PST. April 27th Lineup* 03:00 PM Brother Ali 03:55 PM Noisettes 04:35…
- The White Stripes | 2007 Tour Dates
The White Stripes have returned! Jack White is in the midst of recording a new record with The Raconteurs in anticipation for a busy 2007 with his first band, the White Stripes. After that, his “first” band is taking an…
- U.S. Virgin Festival 2007 | Big Lineup Additions
The U.S. version of the Virgin Festival has fleshed out its 2007 lineup after announcing its three major headliners a few weeks back (the Police, the Smashing Pumpkins, and the Beastie Boys). The festival has just announced some big additions to its lineup, including a slew of great DJs and bands that runs the gamut of musical genres.
- Gov’t Mule Sells One Million Digital Tracks
I wanted to quickly congratulate Gov’t Mule for selling its one-millionth digital download through its independent online music store (run by MusicToday). As a key player in the live music scene, it is great to see a band like Gov’t Mule prospering by selling music directly to its fans.
- Phish Friday | Clifford Ball Set II, A Magnum Opus?
For me, Phish has never played a more complete, perfect set than Set II from the Clifford Ball on 8/17/96. Sure, other sets might provide more craziness. But for this moment in time out in Plattsburgh, the Vermont foursome reached the pinnacle.
- New Beastie Boys Album on the Way
Earlier this week Justin mentioned a few tidbits on the Beastie Boys, including the interesting news that the band will be doing some all-instrumental shows on their upcoming tour. Now, NME is reporting that Beasties have a new album on the way. The new record is set to be released in June and will be entitled:The Mix Up.
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 05/20/2013 • Coachella 2014: Dates Confirmed, Presales Soon
- 04/18/2013 • WATCH: Selling Coachella Weekend Two Tix Is Almost Impossible
- 04/13/2013 • WATCH: How To Destroy Angels FULL SET @ Coachella 2013
- 04/13/2013 • WATCH: Daft Punk steal the show at Coachella without performing
- 04/13/2013 • COUCHELLA: Day Two features Phoenix, The Postal Service, Grizzly Bear, Hot Chip, Janelle Monae & More
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes
- 05/21/2013 • JamBase Live at The Gorge Has Been Cancelled
- 05/21/2013 • SETLIST / RECAP / VIDEO: Rolling Stones @ Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA 5/20/13
- 05/21/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Moon Taxi @ Tipitina’s Uptown, New Orleans, LA 5/16/13