Ticketmaster Sues StubHub | Ticket Industry In-fighting Continues
Ticketmaster, the world’s largest ticketing company, has fired a major shot over the bow against online ticket seller StubHub. Ticketmaster filed a suit yesterday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Stubhub and its parent eBay, citing intentional interference with Ticketmaster’s contractual rights and other charges…”The issue in this case is these tickets posted on StubHub for a tour were tickets that were made available to the general public, and in these particular instances, we had the exclusive right with our clients,” says Moriarty.
In addition, just yesterday Ticketmaster filed a series of lawsuits against four companies over their use of automated web “bots.” The automated software programs are set up to access Ticketmaster.com to quickly and automatically purchase groups of tickets beyond what a single user could achieve.
Although Sean Moriarty, Ticketmaster’s CEO, denies any connection between the suits being filed, in a way, it looks to me like Ticketmaster is trying to play it off as sort of good cop/bad cop on the same day. I don’t think either move will improve the ticket giant’s standing amongst most consumers. It’s unofficial “ticketbastard” moniker is unlikely to fall out of favor until they stop charging so many ridiculous fees and “convenience charges.”
I hope to have a bit more later, but the main takeaway is that Ticketmaster sees Stubhub’s emerging growth as a threat to its business, and they’re starting to fight back.
WHITperson -- aka Marc Whitman or simply "Whit" -- is a long-time LMB contributor known for his in-depth posting style and his knack for crafting interesting podcasts. Whit currently resides in Brooklyn, where he's building up his web development chops and hoping to put his technical skills towards something interesting in the music world. Follow his updates over at whitperson.com and on twitter @whitperson.
- 08/25/2011 • Ticketmaster and Facebook Unveil “See Where Your Friends Are Sitting” Feature
- 05/18/2011 • Ticketing Start-up Eventbrite Gets $50M, Bigger Events
- 09/01/2010 • iTunes Ping Tour Dates Powered by Live Nation & Ticketmaster
- 09/01/2010 • Apple Announces Ping, the iTunes Music Social Network
- 08/23/2010 • Ticketmaster Launches New Blog, New Policies
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify
- 06/17/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Three Highlights (Superjam, Two Gallants & William Tyler)
- 06/16/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Parquet Courts, Naomi Punk @ Neumos, Seattle, WA 6/12/13