Remember Heady Links? I used to have a regular HL post up every other day and I eventually just let the idea fizzle out. No longer, my friends…
Mr. Whitperson has my back on this one and you’ll be seeing regular posts from both of us in this category in the near future. Feel free to drop a comment or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any suggestions…
I don’t where you folks are today, but here in Chi-town it continues to be damn cold, so it’s just a perfect Sunday to sit on the couch, sip some coffee, and catch up on this week’s news:
- Derek Trucks, John Frusciante, John Mayer get “On the Cover of the Rolling Stone” – the new RS features these three as the “New Guitar Gods.” RS.com also has a video of the three guitarists jamming and rappin’ about their experience with the guitar.
(sorry RS, but this “jam” is just way too forced! And these guys are great guitarists, but not so much the conversationalists. However, I do like John Mayer’s description of what Derek Trucks can do with the slide, and the comments section is predictably hilarious… “dude, what about Satriani?”)
- Rolling Stone also has coverage of a recent interview and acoustic perforamance by Trey Anastasio in NYC. The ex-Phish frontman briefly discussed his recent drug arrest and attempts at rehab and played a few acoustic numbers.
- Did you also get shut out for tickets to see Arcade Fire at a church in NYC? Well, at least you can catch the audio of the show: NPR’s Live Concert Series will stream Arcade Fire live on February 17th.
- The Disco Biscuits continue to play setlist games, this time letting “Lady Luck” decide each set’s songlist. They’re heading back to Atlantic City and for the second time, will set up a roulette-style wheel of songs for the best-dressed fans to spin and decide the band’s setlist in real-time, as they play and segue from song to song. Say what you will about tDB, this is just FUN! In other Bisco news, bassist Marc Brownstein, keyboardist Aron Magner, and former drummer Sam Altman, sat in with moe. last night at the Electric Factory in Philly. Perhaps this might be a taste of what to expect at moe‘s winter “Snoe.down” festival.
- “Who the fuck are Arctic Monkeys?” – Haven’t heard much from last year’s uber buzz band, the Arctic Monkeys, but they definitely have not disappeared (and as far as I’ve heard, they still ROCK). They’ve got a new album name (Favourite Worst Nightmare), a release date (April 23rd), a full tracklist, and will release the first single, “Brianstorm,” on April 16th.
- AOL’s Interface has Cold War Kids frontman, Nathan Willett, doing some acoustic numbers and discussing the band’s recent buzz and success.
(by the way, CWK are currently touring in Europe and have a very detailed tour diary, complete with photos and commentary…good stuff)
So what else is news?