The Ladies of Langerado
Here’s another post from Kathryn Vercillo, a soon-to-be regular on the Live Music Blog. There needs to be more of a woman’s perspective in the music blogging world and I’m hoping that her writing sparks some more interesting conversation and ends the would-be sausage party…
Langerado Music Festival 2007 is just around the corner, and the line-up looks amazing. There are several bands on the list that I’ve seen live and know are good and there are others that I would love to catch for the first time. But what I’m noticing as I look at the list is that the men still dominate the music scene at festivals like this one. And what I know from being a girl in a group of mostly male friends is that it takes a strong personality and twice the talent to hang in there with a guy group – which means that the chicks who are rocking out at Langerado are some pretty awesome girls.
Here’s a quick look at who they are:
- Cat Power – New York edge means Southern charm when Chan Marshall starts using that sultry voice of hers to make the toughest of men swoon with her croon. This girl is THE girl of Langerado this year.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela – There’s something about a male-female duo done right that pulls all of the synergy of the song right to your heart. Gabriela has no problem holding her own, matching the speed of Rodrigo’s acoustic guitar-playing fingers with her own, but her strength is in her ability to know how to make a match instead of needing to prove her strength on her own.
- Sharon Jones – Dubbed “The Queen of Funk” and spilling soul wherever she steps, Sharon Jones offers double the impact with her voice than a band of boys could ever pull off on their own.
- Yerba Buena – The Afro-Cuban beats of this band wouldn’t stand a chance if it weren’t for the vocals of leading lady CuCu Diamantes. The group wouldn’t even exist if it weren’t for her help in co-founding it back in 2002.
That’s it, folks – four female stars in an entire festival of music. Each of them in their own way brings a unique female energy to the music scene and offers listeners something unexpected in the sea of bands and performers which dominate the lineup list. It takes talent to make it in the music industry and it also takes a certain dominant persistence which these ladies all pull of with upbeat attitudes and skills that speak for themselves.
About the author
Justin Ward is the Editor at Live Music Blog and has been with the site from the very beginning. He currently lives in San Francisco and regularly tweets other stuff over @justinpward.
- 06/03/2013 • Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings Announce Cancer Diagnosis, Tour & Album Release Postponed
- 03/04/2013 • Forecastle Festival 2013 Lineup: Black Keys, String Cheese Incident, Animal Collective and more
- 09/26/2012 • FESTIVAL RECAP: Life is good Festival 2012
- 06/07/2012 • Life is Good 2012 Festival Lineup Announced
- 06/06/2012 • Bonnaroo 2012 Webcast Schedule Posted
- 06/19/2013 • WATCH: Dehaan aka Metallica Perform “Kill ‘Em All” In Full @ Orion Fest
- 06/18/2013 • Bonnaroo 2013: Day Four Highlights and Best of Roo Awards
- 06/17/2013 • Music Midtown 2013: Phoenix, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age and More Lead ATL Festival
- 06/17/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti @ Tipitina’s Uptown NOLA 6/15/13
- 06/17/2013 • Pink Floyd Releases Catalog On Spotify