Some New Music, Perhaps
Sorry, fellow LMBers, it’s the summer, and I’ve been a bit busy lately trying to just stay awake at work, admirably perform the tasks of my regular 9-6 job and get my own blog in order.
So I’ve been neglecting the Live Music Blog, if you can call one or two posts a week neglect (I shall, and I will). But also it’s been a little while since I’ve seen a live show, so I don’t really have much to write about these days. Hopefully Justin and I will get moving on our point/counterpoint idea shortly.
The Ace Cowboy will be in attendance for the Gov’t Mule and Trey/70 Volt Parade show coming up at Jones Beach this weekend, so hopefully we’ll have a comprehensive report of a sick collaboration between Beardless Red and That Guy Who Looks Like He Woke Up in a Dumpster. And I’ll personally get to witness the re-emergence of Jen Hartswick‘s killer pipes, huge smile and enormous tats, which are all nice.
Anyway, I wanted to post something that would get people using the comments section around here, which is about the only area of the LMB that hasn’t improved over the past few months. So much like Rich over at the 101 Report has done a few times lately, I’d like to turn this into an Open Post of sorts. We’d like to hear from you: What bands have you been listening to around the rock, jam, funk, soul, jazz, New Age, ska, bluegrass, Latin, hippity hop, children’s music, Klezmer, or whatever scenes?
I’ve been trying to give some new bands a shot, since my four favorite groups no longer play together (the popular rock band Phish, the Grateful Dead, The Band, Talking Heads). So here are five relatively “new” bands I’ve been enjoying lately, along with a show of each group I enjoy listening to:
The Benevento/Russo Duo — June 24, 2005 @ House of Blues, Atlantic City, NJ
Railroad Earth — July 3, 2005 @ High Sierra Music Festival, Quincy, CA
Tea Leaf Green — June 30, 2005 @ High Sierra Music Festival, Quincy, CA
The Breakfast — July 1, 2005 @ Toad’s Place, New Haven, CT
Derek Trucks Band — June 17, 2005 @ Ripplefest, Bluffton, OH
There’s plenty of good music out there…you have to love guys like Karl Denson and Robert Walter, Umphrey’s McGee, Keller Williams, my personal favorites Medeski, Martin and Wood, and many more. I’m just looking for suggestions at this point. Let’s hear it.
- 05/13/2013 • Widespread Panic and Umphrey’s McGee Announce Two Nights in Charleston (10/4 & 10/5)
- 04/18/2013 • David Gilmour Remembers Storm Thorgerson (1944-2013)
- 03/23/2013 • PHOTOS / RECAP: Umphrey’s McGee @ House of Blues in Hollywood, CA 3/22/13
- 03/14/2013 • FEATURE: Bonnaroo’s Collaborative Nature
- 03/06/2013 • WEBCAST: Umphrey’s McGee Set to Stream Aspen Shows
- 05/22/2013 • TOUR DATES: Ty Segall Announces Summer 2013 Dates
- 05/22/2013 • DAFT PUNK WATCH: RS Cover Story, Remixes Announced, Hear “Horizon” Bonus Track
- 05/22/2013 • CONCERT RECAP: The Black Angels & Hanni El Khatib @ The Mayan LA 5/21/13
- 05/21/2013 • Interlocken Fest Confirms Multiple Nights of Widespread Panic, Furthur, SCI and The Black Crowes
- 05/21/2013 • JamBase Live at The Gorge Has Been Cancelled